Editor's note: I am pleased to share this post by Betsy McEntarffer of Lincoln Public Schools in Lincoln, Nebraska. A few weeks ago, Betsy and I were writing to each other about children's books with Native content. She mentioned one of the ways she and the Library Media Staff work with teachers. I asked her to write it up for me. The work Betsy describes is important for two reasons. First, they offer teachers works in the multicultural category that they believe accurately reflect the population the book is about. Second, when they learned that teachers needed more than the positive lists of books, they developed a "not chosen" initiative that, she writes, really helped teachers see things they weren't seeing before. Betsy writes below:
"Many visitors told us when they studied these examples and read the rationale used for their reviews, they could clearly see how students would be adversely affected and felt these materials were excellent learning opportunities."Their model is important. Thanks, Betsy, for sharing it with me, and I hope others try it out!
“this act, multicultural education shall include, but not be limited to, studies relative to the culture, history and contributions of African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans and Asian Americans. Special emphasis shall be placed on human relations and sensitivity toward all races.”
- How adequate is the library/media center’s collection of multicultural resource materials for staff?
- How adequate is the library/media center’s collection of multicultural resource materials for students?
- How adequate is the process for selecting appropriate multicultural education curriculum materials for the core curriculum? [which often uses library/media center materials]
- How often does the library/media center use multicultural resource and reference materials for displays and special presentations?
- Are there specific guidelines or procedures in place regarding the acquisition of additional multicultural materials in the library or resource room?
Link: Library Media Services, Lincoln Public Schools