Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Who reads AMERICAN INDIANS IN CHILDREN'S LITERATURE?

Who reads American Indians in Children's Literature? Laurie Halse Anderson.

On Monday, June 14th, 2010, I wrote about her response to blogger Kate Slater. This morning, I have a hit from Anderson's LJ (LiveJournal), "Mad Woman in the Forest." In  "Writing about Race for Kids" she references American Indians in Children's Literature.

I don't know if any of her books have American Indian content (characters, setting, artifacts, etc.) but I'm glad to know she's thinking carefully about issues of representation.

Eds Note: June 16, 2015---The link to Anderson's post was updated to go to her blog. 

1 comment:

Three Turtles and Their Pet Librarian said...

I've been in awe of Anderson's dedication to researching what she writes, to the point of walking through the snow in similar attire to what soldiers wore at Valley Forge.