If I was starting a library in an elementary school or if I was ordering books for an elementary school library, these are ten books I'd buy right away, along with the ten listed in 2010: Top Ten Books Recommended for Elementary School.
With these books, students will read the works of Native and non-Native writers who know what they're talking about. The books include picture and chapter books, traditional stories, contemporary and historical fiction, and, biography and autobiography, too.
- Edwardson, Debby Dahl. Whale Snow.
- Erdrich, Louise. Chickadee.
- Francis, Lee DeCora. Kunu's Basket: A Story from Indian Island
- Galvan, Glenda. Chikasha Stories, Volume One: Shared Spirit
- Jordan-Fenton, Christy and Margaret Pokiak-Fenton. Fatty Legs: A True Story
- Nelson, S.D. Greet the Dawn: The Lakota Way
- Nelson, S.D. Buffalo Bird Girl: A Hidatsa Story
- Sneve, Virginia Driving Hawk. The Christmas Coat: Memories of My Sioux Childhood
- Tingle, Tim. Saltypie: A Choctaw Journey from Darkness into Light
- Uluadluak, Donald. Kamik: An Inuit Puppy Story
For brief annotations, see my 2013 article in School Library Journal, "Resources and Kid Lit about American Indians." (Note: this is a list compiled in 2013, not a list of books published in 2013.)